Pre Wakefield concerns about vaccines:
I think too much emphasis on Wakefield has clouded the issue of vaccine safety. The media is blaming Andrew Wakefield for the low take up of MMR vaccination in Wales.
Newspaper publicity about the Wakefield study that linked MMR (measles, mumps & rubella) vaccination to onset of autism, is believed to be the reason parents chose not to give this to young babies. The current outbreak of measles affecting many children and teenagers in Wales is thought to be the result.
However long before the Wakefield controversy there were concerns over safety of vaccines.
- In the 60’s some children suffered harm from whooping cough vaccinations which led to the UK Vaccine Damage Payments Act of 1979
- Urabe mumps strain in MMR caused harm to some - read about this here:
- An article was published in the Observer in July 2001 re toxic batches of GSKs Whooping Cough Vaccine linked to some deaths: http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2001/jul/08/tracymcveigh.antonybarnett?INTCMP=SRCH
- Contaminated polio vaccine led to deaths in the 50’s:
- To add to vaccine damage for those interested in iatrogenic harm, children of mother’s who were prescribed DES are still at risk: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diethylstilbestrol
About the illnesses:
My first three children had measles at the same time. We were running into the darkened bedrooms with cool water and drinks for a few days.
Mumps was a mild illness and discovered when the neck is tender and one feels a swollen gland.
One is thankful if son's have this before puberty, as in the adult male it may affect the testicles.